Our family is like a big beautiful patchwork quilt. Each us different yet stitched together by love!
We are committed to the belief that every child deserves to thrive in a nurturing, permanent family, our mission is to meet the diverse needs of children, birthparents, adopted individuals, adoptive families, and all those touched by adoption through advocacy, education, research, legislative action and collaboration.
- Connecting infants and children with families in a fair and equitable manner through adoption
- Educating families to adopt children with a diverse background
- Serving as advocates to schools, communities and local government
- Providing support for the adoptive family and birth family through any challenges they may face
We believe that adoption is about finding the right family for children. Therefore we go through a painstaking process to ensure the right match - Lucy Piñeiro, Founder.
OUR PHILOSOPHY AROUND ADOPTION
Adopting a child is not a transaction; it’s a life-changing event that is cause for celebration and a time to reflect on the responsibility of guiding a child through her/his life. Most days, children don’t think about adoption. But when they do, they know it means they are different. Adopted parents have a responsibility to ensure that their adoptive child knows that they are not different, and that they are part of a loving family just like any other child. So as you contemplate adoption, recognize that you will be the guiding light that will help form an innoscent child’s life.
Not all adoptions are easy. While most birth parents make an adoption plan to provide a better life for a child, some children are removed from their parents due to abuse or neglect, which can make the adoption experience a traumatic one. Be prepared for lengthy conversations and deep communication. An adoptive child will have many questions about their history, their natural birth parents, they wonder if they have siblings and often wonder if they will fit into their new adoptive family. Be prepared to shed light on their questions, to explain but also to allow them to express their concerns. Saying nice things such as “you were born in my heart or we were meant to be together will not be enough. Extensive communication will be the only way to ensure the adoption experience will be a wonderful celebration of a life-changing event.
What We've Achieved
- Our firm actively participated in modifying Florida chapter 63.082 - the intervention statue which provides for better protection of the child's best interest keeping in mind pre-established relationships with foster care parents.
- Proactive in working with kids and families on matters related to adoption subsidies - active negotiation with the Florida department of children and families and Our Kids.
- Active leadership of the Miami Dade County Adoption Improvement Committee.
- Provide ongoing training to foster parents and other adoption agencies.
- Successfully managed various private and foster care cases.
- Filed the first Hatian orphan adoption case.
- Represent foster parents in the adoption review committee process known as ARC (Adoption Review Committee).